Efflorein® Mark 2
Multi purpose performance enhancing concrete admixture.
Efflorein® Mark 2 is a ready-to-use, high-solids, easily dispersible, flowable off-white powder admixture for cement-bound materials. It has been specifically developed to control the occurrence of efflorescence and the problems associated with salt bloom in Portland cement concrete, mortar and grout products, while also helping to improve a range of other concrete performance characteristics in both the plastic and hardened states.
Supplied in fully biodegradable paper sacks, Efflorein® Mark 2 is suitable for use with virtually any type of concrete, grout or mortar mix, including:
• prepared wet plastic pre-mixed concrete and shotcrete mixes
• cementitious engineering grouts
• tile grouts
• semi-dry, ‘earth damp’ low water content concrete mixes (such as those used with high compactive forces, in the manufacture of concrete masonry, pavers, roofing tiles, garden furniture and 'ornamental' products)
• masonry mortars
• cement rendering mortars
• stencilled paver effect compositions for existing hardened concrete
Efflorein® Mark 2 delivers a range of positive performance enhancement to concrete, including:
• Reduces permeability to water and other solutions (including chloride solutions)
• Increases durability
• Controls the occurrence of efflorescence and problems associated with salt bloom
• Improves compressive strength
• Increases the intensity and colour saturation of integrally-coloured concrete mixes.
Usage and application:
• For Premixed Concrete - Efflorein® Mark 2 is typically added last to the freshly made plastic concrete in the transit truck mixing barrel. The addition of the biodegradable sacks of Efflorein® Mark 2 admixture to the transit truck's barrel should be followed by a thorough remixing of the concrete at the standard barrel 'mixing' speed (approximately 18 RPM) for a period of about 8 minutes, thereby ensure that admixture is evenly distributed throughout the mix, and that the paper sacks have degraded completely.
• For All Other Mortar and Shotcrete Mixes - it is recommended that Efflorein® Mark 2 is added to the mix at the selected dosage rate as the last item, followed by further through mixing to ensure full distribution of the admixture throughout the mix and complete degradation of the paper sacks.
• With the Exception of Semi-Dry mixes and those containing superplasticising admixtures, mixes containing Efflorein® Mark 2 admixture should be prepared using 20% less mix water.
Efflorein® Mark 2 is recommended for use with a dosage rate of between
1-1.5% (± 0.5%) by weight of total cementitious material content for all concrete, shotcrete and mortar mixes, for most applications.
Efflorein® Mark 2 is compatible with virtually all other industry-recognised concrete admixtures, however, please note that:
• Efflorein® Mark 2 is not suitable for use with air-entraining admixtures
• Efflorein® Mark 2 is not suitable for use with Calcium Chloride
• When used in mortars containing Quicklime (Calcium Oxide) or Hydrated Lime (Calcium Hydroxide), Efflorein® Mark 2 may have to be used at a higher than normal dosage rate.
Efflorein® Mark 2 is available in Ability designed, 5kg or 20kg fully-degradable Concrete-Friendly® sacks.
For maximum shelf-life, Efflorein® Mark 2 should be stored out of direct sunlight, off the ground, in appropriate, dry conditions. Efflorein® Mark 2 has a storage shelf-life of 12 months when kept in a dry place in tightly closed original packaging.
Efflorein® Mark 2 is a non-hazardous substance and is classed as a non-dangerous good, however, it is recommended that the following Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and precautions are followed when handling the product:
• Wear full overalls, gloves and safety goggles
• Avoid skin and eye contact
• Avoid inhalation if there is a dust potential use dust mask or NOISH approved respirator in enclosed areas
• Always wash hands before eating, drinking, smoking or using the toilet
• Wash any contaminated clothing or protective equipment prior to storage or reuse.
For further Health and Safety information, please refer to the: Efflorein® Mark 2 Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS).